This course is designed to contribute to the under-pinning knowledge required to enable the delegate to demonstrate the achievement of the ICE Attribute No.6, and to equip them to exercise sound independent engineering judgement and take responsibility in this field. It is the first in a series of three H S & W courses.
The course also contributes to the Appreciation & Knowledge elements of the following:
- IStructE Core Objectives 3.2 & 3.3
- CIHT Guidance Notes Section 4 & Appendix E
- CIWEM Mandatory Competency C2
- GSL Competency IV
AIMS & OBJECTIVES:
The objective of this course is to confirm to the participants their responsibilities for health and safety within both the legal and contractual frameworks. The aim is to achieve this by developing your awareness of the dangers of site work. It will also examine the legal requirements to help you comply with the law – and most importantly it could help you or your fellow worker(s) stay alive!
By developing your knowledge and understanding of current legislation and best practice, you take responsibility for your personal and collective safety.
- The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
- An overview of the court legal system
- The Role of the H & S Executive
- Duty Holders – including YOUR duties
- The Safety Policy
- Powers of Inspectors
- Penalties, Fines, Fee for Intervention and Enforcement Orders
- Management of H & S at Work including the fundamentals of Risk Assessment
- ICE Rules for Professional Conduct – H & S issues
- Your vulnerability in the early days on a new site – site hazards awareness
- Good management practices
MODE OF DELIVERY:
Throughout the course – which will be highly participative – At appropriate times self- assessment exercises will be used.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING:
At the end of the course participants should have a clearer understanding of their Health & Safety responsibilities and how those obligations should be met.
Architects; Structural Designers; Civil Engineers; Landscape Designers; M&E Designers; Specialist Designers; Construction Professionals; Contract Administrators.