Project Management Fundamentals
Project Management Training
To teach delegates how to effectively and confidently plan, deliver and manage projects.
Delegates who require a basic understanding of how to plan and manage a project. Designed for staff who do not need the intricacies of a PRINCE2 course or for staff who are aiming to attend a PRINCE2 course and wish to learn some prior basic project management skills.
- Learn the principles of good project management
- Plan and manage a project
- Complete necessary project management documentation
- Work as a team to plan, manage and deliver a project
This interactive course will take delegates through the process of planning and managing a project within a team environment. Delegates will work within groups with a Project Manager appointed to lead the group through the project management process.
- Be interactive within this course
- Be given a choice of projects to work on
- Be placed into groups with one person in the group acting as Project Manager
- Work through a 4 stage approach to Project Management
- Complete the necessary documentation for each stage in the project
- Work as a team to reach a successful outcome of their project
Project Management and the Project Life Cycle
- What do we expect from this Course?
- 7 Principals of Project Management
- What is a Project?
- Projects within a Programm
- What is Project Management?
- Who is the Project Manager?
- Project Organisation Structure
- The Project Life Cycle – 4 Stage Approach
Stage 1 – Initiation
- Identify the need for the project
- Analyse Business options
- Lessons from previous projects investigated and acknowledged
- Complete a Business Case
- Give justification to the project
- Measures benefits against dis-benefits
- Document major risks
- Define and document Roles and Responsibilities
- Appoint a Project Manager
- Business Case Sign Off
Stage 2 – Planning
- Projects agreed and appropriately prioritised
- A PID (Project Initiation document) created
- Project Plan created using a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Project planned detailing Phases, Tasks, Duration, Start and Finish Date, Constraints, Resources, Costs and Risk.
- Resources added to the project
- Create a Gantt Chart displaying the project’s tasks, milestones and critical path
- Risk Register created
- Quality Register created
- Communications process created
- Set a Baseline (Point of Approval)
- PID Sign Off
Stage 3 – Execution/Control
- Risks assessed and analysed
- If required Change controlled and documented
- Issues escalated and documented
- Actuals against Planned documented
- Stage Plans completed
- Determine If Business Case is still valid or project will deliver the business benefits
Stage 4 – Closing a Project
- Define the end of a Project
- Determine if successful outcome
- Lessons Learned Report completed
- End Project Report completed
Duration: 2 Days
Categorised in: Supervisory & Management