This safety course introduces the learner to the theoretical and practical dangers of excavation work.
Examples of areas covered are, but not limited to the HSE’s HSG150, HSG 47 guidance, the Construction
Industry Research and Information Associations report and:
• EUSMUNC07 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Utility Networks Construction
• EUSGNC007 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Complex Operations in Gas Network
• COSVR370 Provide Temporary Excavation Support
• City and Guilds Level 2 Awards in Excavation Support Systems (6146-21) Nov 2012
• HSG47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services
• HSG150 Health and Safety in Construction
• CIRIA Trenching Practice (second edition R97)
Learners will become familiarised with the necessity for identifying various ground conditions, and will
come to understand a variety of methods for utilising the appropriate ground retention system(s). This
course also includes practical training and assessments whilst installing ground support systems in a
live environment with a specific temporary works designs.
• Identify the dangers and hazards associated with working in excavations
• Differentiate between soil types and conditions
• Recognise suitable ground retention systems
• Carry out risk assessments unique to excavations
• Recognise the hazards, and implement control measures for those hazards
• Be able to safely install, remove and inspect steel shoring equipment w/practical experience in
Who will benefit?
Managers, supervisors, safety professionals and/or operatives who are required to oversee and/or
carry out work in or around excavations. If you physically install or remove shoring systems and
haven’t had any formal training, this course is essential to guarantee the safety of yourself and those
What will you recieve?
• Practical experience with timber shoring equipment
• Professionally delivered training by qualified trainers to a minimum level of PTLLS or L3 Award in
Education & Training
• EUSR accredited certificate and ID card (Valid for 3 years)
• Personal copy of Excavation Safety Learners Notes
Categorised in: Excavations & Roads / Utlilties